At Tuesday's meeting Josephine Haynes presented several encouraging thoughts on making it through mother hood. She talked about choosing three things to make as priorities during your day. Hers where: Taking a Shower, Preparing a Simple Dinner for her husband (and family), and finding time to spend with God everyday.... for whether length of time her children would allow.
This blogger also presented some thoughts on the book, "Ten Habits of Happy Mothers, Reclaiming our Passion, our Purpose and our Sanity" by Meg Meeker. I shared three tools that I like to keep handy during my mothering journey: Running Shoes, Elastic Pants and and an Oxygen Mask.
This book deals a lot with issues that are our oxygen masks as Moms. Too many times as mothers, we walk around without our oxygen masks on and if we want to reclaim our passion, purpose and sanity, we need to do a better job of putting on oxygen masks on.
The Ten Habits are:
1. Understanding your value as a mother
2. Maintain Key Friendships
3. Value and Practice Faith
4. Say No to Competition
5. Create a Healthier Relationship with Money
6. Make time for solitude
7. Give and Get Love in Healthy Ways
8. Find Ways to Live Simply
9. Let go of Fear
10. Hope is a Decision- So make it!
I then focused on four of those habits that really spoke to me.
Understanding your Value as a Mother:
There are two keys to this habit. You must know why you are valuable and you must like who you are.
Keys to making this habit stick:
1. Make a List of things that you are good at, that make you special and valuable.
2. Live to impress no one (except God)
3. Write down what goes in the box (when you die)/ How do you want to be remembered?
Say no to Competition:
Everyone competes. Our culture tells us that we should always be improving ourselves and our families, to
be better, do more, have more. In order to reclaim our passion, purpose and sanity we must root this out.
Keys to making this habit stick
1. Recognize Jealousy and don't be fooled. Some symptoms of jealousy are twinges of irritation, anger, annoyance and a desire to gossip or criticize.
2. Head Jealousy off at the Pass. You must initiate and internal dialog.
3. Give Verbal applause to the one who you are jealous of.
4. Focus on Your Fullness and not on Your Emptiness
5. Be deliberate in Kindness.
Create a Healthier Relationship with Money:
Very important. Money has the power to control us and never fulfills the emotional need that we want to
Keys to making it stick
1. Grab someone's hand- find your importance and fulfillment in relationships and not stuff.
2. Ask why we are opening our wallet.
3. Look closer to home for our contentment.
We need to strive for both inner and outer simplicity. Not living organically, but living with less. For inner simplicity, we need to find our true purpose and not be flashlights but laser beams. For outward simplicity, we need to rid ourselves of unnecessary busyness and focus on what is really important. What can you let go of?
Keys to make it stick
1. Identify and live your real priorities.
2. Change the way you talk to reflect those priorities
3. Loosen your grip and let go.
I hope that these things encouraged you to find (or re-find) your purpose and passion and maybe bring more sanity to your life.